I know I said last week that I would do this post on Monday night, but I lied. I had a really bad day at work and was way too grumpy to blog. Then, my danish friend Anne was in town all week so I'm just now getting to it.
KEN'S VISIT
Right after I got back from Brazil, like 3 days later, my brother Ken came to visit from Atlanta. I have been trying to get him out here for months and finally the time was right. He flew in on a Tuesday morning and stayed for a week. It was really so much fun. He is 6 years younger than me and we've always gotten along but weren't really that close growing up because of our age difference. When I went away to college, he was only 12, so I feel like I didn't really get to know the mature grown up version of my brother. It was really so nice having an entire week to just spend quality time with him. It turns out we really get along great. I was so sad when he left, I really want him to move here! Anyways, enough of this mushy stuff, on to the pictures!
Day 1 - Arrival lunch at a cafe in Little Italy. Ken doesn't look that happy, but trust me he was. He just likes to look like a tough guy. :)
PACIFIC BEACH
That night we took Ken out for Taco Tuesday in Pacific Beach - where the young'uns hang out. He really enjoyed the (female) scenery. This picture was taken with our NEW camera (remember I broke two of them this summer?...) This one takes special low light pictures - pretty good, eh? This is no flash!
SAN DIEGO ZOO
The next day I took the afternoon off work and took my brother to the zoo. He hadn't been since he was little. I think he had a pretty good time but it didn't quite live up to his memories as a kid, but then again, things usually dont...
Here he is trying to get a picture of the monkeys.
Self pic in front of the elephants. He decided to try sporting a handkerchief for the first time this day. Not really my style but he thought he looked cool.
I was very excited to be able to introduce him to churros. He loved Taco Bell as a kid, especially the cinnamon twists, and this is the real thing! Yum!
THE GASLAMP
After the zoo, we met up with Joey, Fabian and Daniel downtown - first for Wing Wednesday (every day has a special around here!) at Bubs then out for some drinks. My brother looks confused in this picture because Fabian said "Say Cheesecake!" and my brother heard "Say she's a skank!" It's not easy deciphering the German accent and weird sayings!
I couldn't eat any of the delicious wings or drink any beer this night since my ulcer was in full swing at this point. I was taking medicine from the doctor but still getting really nauseous and having pain when eating, So sad.
After Bubs, we walked around downtown with the guys. Ken loved this area too. Again - great "scenery."
BEACH BONFIRE
The next night was Toasty Thursday! Ok, I'm just kidding - no name for Thursday. Well, there probably is but we didn't do it. We went to South Mission Beach for a bonfire. Fabian and Daniel met up with us again. Here is Joey and Ken roasting their hotdogs.
Oops! Ken charred his a little....
And no bonfire is complete without Smores! I tried making a peanut butter one with a Reese's cup but it wasn't very good. I think using real peanut butter would be better - maybe next time - oh, and maybe with some banana. That sounds delicious!
NIGHT OUT
Later that night Ken got all dolled up to go downtown with an old friend from Ga. I was really glad he had a friend his age to go out with. We tried to take him out to the bars the next night but I guess hanging out with your older sister at a bar isn't the most fun thing in the world.
I hear he rode a mechanical bull this night and went to a dance club. He certainly was exhausted the next morning! I'm just happy he made it home safe!
CORONADO BEACH
Saturday morning we picked up the usual delicious Mona Lisa sandwiches and headed to Coronado. We had just purchased boogie boards and paddle ball so it was a fun day!
SANDCASTLES!
Sunday we went down to Imperial beach for the national sandcastle competition. Joey went last year while I was in Germany (I think I posted his pictures last July...) and I was super excited to be in town this time.
Man, was it crowded!
They had different levels of competitors ranging from kids and amateurs to masters. Here is a master's team sculpting a patriotic scene. I think this is the one that ended up winning. It was amazing to see how many guys were working on this thing!
This was an entry in the sculpture division. Small but impressive!
Like any festival in San Diego, there was ample Kettle Corn - my fav!
Back to the sandcastles...Here is another sculpture one - some kind of beachy Buddha. Really amazing!
And one of my favorites - Angry birds!
RANDOM FUN
After the competition we headed over to play a little putt-putt just like when we went to Florida as kids. Joey killed us.
Then we went to get beach pizza. Yum!
Most nights, Ken and Joey played pool for a few hours down in our apartment rec room. They are both quite competitive. For most of the week, Joey beat Ken like 10 to 1 - but the last night Ken got his comeback. He wasn't going to leave a loser!
Monday morning I had to take Ken to the airport to say goodbye. I was really so sad to see him go. He was so laid back all week and so fun to hang out with. Usually, having someone sleeping on your couch and invading your space for a week would get kind of annoying, but not my brother. I really sincerely enjoyed his company. I know he had a great time too. Now I'm just trying to convince him to move out here!
Next up: Backpacking in San Gabriel Canyon & a Dane in San Diego!
Have a good week everybody!
No comments:
Post a Comment