Halloween this year looked a lot like last year. We had our second annual pumpkin carving party for
foreigners complete with my once a year pumpkin treats and then went out in
last minute thrift store costumes. Here are the deets - or as Tom Haverford would say, the tails...
PUMPKIN CARVING
Tuesday before Halloween we went out and
bought a bunch of pumpkins. I would’ve preferred to go cut my own from the
pumpkin patch but there never seems to be time, so we settled for the grocery
store instead. We had a few new guests this year – one of which is my new
coworker Franziska (yes, ANOTHER German in my office!) She was super excited to
try this American tradition.
Let the carving begin!
Joey’s pumpkin was really weird. It looked like it had bean
sprouts growing out of it. The pumpkins here are all spaghetti-y inside – not
mushy like I remember from GA. We are convinced that there is something wrong
with all these California pumpkins.
Every year Joey complains about having to
design the face on his pumpkin. Here he is having a hard time starting. I don’t
know why he makes a big deal out of it; his pumpkins are always awesome to me!
Here are my favorite Halloween treats – Paula Dean’s pumpkin bars. This year, I didn’t even make any substitutions! I figure I only bake like twice a year, so I might as well let Joey enjoy it!
Finally Joey got some inspiration
- a puking pumpkin! See, they are always great!
Franzi was having the time of her life. She was SO proud of her
mustached pumpkin.
All the pumpkins. From the left – Daniel’s
scary pumpkin, my ghost pumpkin, Franzi’s mustache pumpkin, Stephanie’s happy
pumpkin (she complained about designing a face too, but again, it’s fine!),
Joey’s puking pumpkin, and Fabian’s all circle pumpkin.
And the proud designers…
Another thing that seems to be different
about these California pumpkins is how quickly they rot! This is Joey’s pumpkin
just 3 days later – and it was inside the whole time!
See a little closer….
Eww! I’m sure it doesn’t help that he had
the pumpkin guts in it but mine was pretty bad too. Maybe it’s the air out
here, who knows.
COSTUMES
Once again, Joey and I went out to the thrift store to get some
lazy costumes. Before we went, I brainstormed a long list of things we might be
able to find at the thrift store to give us a little direction. One idea was
for Joey to go as a safari ranger and for me to go as some sort of animal - I guess we were inspired from our South Africa trip. (Although I was super conscious this year to be careful to not dress up as
something that makes me ugly or too cute – like last year’s teddy ruxpin
fiasco!)
We got super lucky and we found a safari shirt for Joey and a
zebra striped tube dress for me! (Ok, so I was kind of a slutty zebra…) Add a
hat, binoculars, ears, and a tail and we were all set!
All dressed up and ready to go! I decided
to add some stripes with body paint to take my costume up a notch. It took me
like an hour to get ready and Joey like 5 minutes!
We walked downtown to the Gaslamp and just found a place with a
lot of costume wearers. We met our friend Jordan there – can you tell what he
is?
I don’t know the name but the guy from
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. And here I am posing like a zebra. Joey told me
this photo was not attractive and I should delete it but I’m not ashamed!
Aww, our first couples costume!
Most people knew what I was (how could you
not!?) but quite a few people thought I was a white tiger for some reason. Then
I ran into a girl who WAS a white tiger and I got really excited. I thought it made a
good picture! (except for the fact that I was getting sweaty by this point and my stripes were running like crazy...)
We also met a guy with a great Indiana
Jones costume. He even had a rat on his shoulder. He and Joey bonded over their
love of Indiana Jones and became friends. We just hung out with him and his
girlfriend this weekend.
The next morning Joey was really craving
Waffle House and wanted me to make him a huge plate of hashbrowns. He asked for
3 potatoes worth! I thought he was crazy so I only made two.
Turns out his eyes were bigger than his stomach though because he
couldn’t finish them…and thought he might be sick. Haha.
So that’s it! Nothing too exciting but fun nonetheless. Now
I’m sitting on a plane on my way to Germany (I’m going for a medical tradeshow
for work) and it is really bumpy. I’m getting a little nauseous so I’m glad I’m
done writing this post. Until next time…
I LOVE THE ZEBRA!!! What a great idea. See you in just a few weeks!
ReplyDeleteAH! I agree - I LOVE the zebra! And that you added stripes to yourself...very clever! Oh! And I totally know what you mean about the pumpkins!! Marc's pumpkin was normal but mine was that weird, spaghetti-type inside...and the squirrels only ate my pumpkin and didn't touch his. I'm glad you came to the same conclusion because I thought I was going nutty.
ReplyDelete