Wow, I have been terrible at blogging lately. I just never feel like getting on the computer after work anymore. After staring at a computer all day at my 9-5 run-of-the-mill desk job, I just don't feel like it. Also, I kind of feel like our life isn't very exciting and I don't have anything to write about these days. I really need to get better again! I guess there is no time like the present, so here I go - a post that is about 2 months late.
Rewind to September...
MARC AND NICOLE VISIT
In early September, Marc and Nicole found themselves in Southern California and extended their trip to stay with us for a couple days. This was Nicole's second visit and Marc's first. We were so excited to see them and host guests in our new guest room! Since this was 2 months ago, I can't remember exactly how the weekend went down but here are the highlights.
They arrived late Friday night (after a fun filled day at Disney World) in time for us to grab a late dinner at a local mexican spot and catch up a little bit. Then Saturday morning we started our day by grabbing breakfast at my go-to spot, Pappalecco. I took Nicole here last time she visited and she requested we go again - which of course, is totally fine by me! We all got their signature egg breakfast plates and they were delicious as always. Marc was very impressed and I was proud of my favorite little neighborhood spot :)
Marc and Nicole were dying to get a little beach time so we headed over to Coronado Island to hang out for a bit. It was SO HOT. I used to always say that San Diego is never hot, well this summer really shut me up. This summer was scorching hot and a few weekends in September were unbearable. Unfortunately one of those weekends was this one. It was like 90 or 100 degrees - which is crazy for us. Not to mention our new place doesn't have A/C so it was brutal. Sorry guys! I promise the next time you come visit it will be cooler! Anyways, back to the weekend events...
Here I am just lounging - and trying to cover up my growing tummy.
Here's a picture of Marc, Nicole, and Joey frolicking in the ocean (trust me, they are there somewhere). The water was still freezing but it felt great to cool off from the scorching heat.
Next, we strolled over to the Hotel Del - the famous and beautiful Coronado hotel.
And found a little place to get some ice cream.
Then, back to our little heat box to shower and relax a bit.
Later that evening we went out to a local fish restaurant. Marc and Nicole were very excited to get fresh seafood - especially oysters!
After dinner, we went down to the bay to have a few drinks on the patio overlooking the water.
Around 10pm, it was nearing my bedtime, so we headed back home and I went to bed while they went out around our house. I don't have any pictures of that excursion but Nicole posted a crazy picture of them on Facebook with some nuns in drag they ran into at one of the places. So check out her page for that. :)
Unfortunately, Marc and Nicole had to head back up to LA Sunday afternoon so we didn't have much time left. We just spent the morning watching a little football then headed to La Jolla for brunch and a scenic walk before saying good-bye.
I'm so glad they were able to stop by! We always love having visitors - especially now that we have space for them! What a fun weekend!
GOODBYE TO FRANZI
Also in September, we said good-bye to our good friend Franzi from Germany. She came to SD a year ago to work at my company and her time was finally up. Over the year we became really good friends and had lots of fun times with her. We were so sad to see her go but I guess we knew she wouldn't stay here forever. Before she left, we tried to spend as much time with her as possible. Here's a picture from one Saturday outing at the zoo. We couldn't let her leave SD without going to the zoo!
During her last week, she had a going away dinner party at her house - her famous kasespatzle that I've blogged about at least once or twice before. I like to call it German mac and cheese. She makes it from scratch and it is delicious! I went over to her house early so she could teach me how to make it - and she left her spatzle maker with me as a gift. Here she is making the dough for the noodles. She really puts some elbow grease into it!
And sautéing A TON of onions. She cooks them for almost an hour until they are carmel-ly and delicious. Yum!
I helped grate the cheese. Although she said this wasn't really the best cheese to use since she couldn't get the really "stinky" kind that she uses in Germany. Still tastes good to me!
Then we took turns making the noodles. It's a messy job! Side note - I love how German she looked with the double braids this night - if only she would've been wearing her pretzel earrings! (Yes, she has pretzel earrings, she was wearing them the first time I met her :) )
Then, we mixed the noodles with the cheese and some cream, topped it with the gooey onions and popped it in the oven. Mmmmmmm.
About this time all our friends started to arrive. Here is Fabian, our other resident German, who has no plans of leaving sunny San Diego and surfing just yet.
And here is Joey with Jordan and Stephanie.
And of course a picture of the final product! Oh man, I should go make some of this right now....
The full group. We were all so sad to say good bye!
Especially me! I love my Franzi!!! I guess this just means we'll have to go visit her in Germany very soon!
We miss you Franzi!
So that's September. I'm still WAY behind. I have lots of other random things that I might post about next. I have to see what I have pictures of but it may include...
- Chargers vs. Falcons tailgate
- Recliner and registry shopping (ugh!)
- Handyman Joey
- Steph's birthday
- Carving pumpkins
- Halloween at work
- and of course, some baby updates!
On the baby note, this is an exciting week for us! On Friday we have our 20 week ultrasound where we find out the gender. I CANT WAIT! Seriously, I'm SO excited. I don't know how I'll be able to be productive at all this week! So look for that announcement next weekend. I will probably also come out on Facebook at that point.
Have a great week everybody!
I love this!!! The kasespatzle looks amazing - I remember you talking about it! Thanks again for being such wonderful hosts for us and satisfying our beach/seafood needs while we were in town =) Can't wait to hear the next baby update!!
ReplyDelete