Saturday, June 8, 2013

Jack: 2 Months




ESTIMATED SIZE
  • Weighing in at 10lbs 15oz - That's about 2 lbs this month! But he is still skinny compared to other babies, he is only in the 15th percentile
  • Measuring around 23.5 inches - He continues to be long/tall for a baby -85th percentile
  • Comfortably wearing 0-3 and 3 month outfits
  • Getting too long for size 1 diapers but still too small for size 2! This has led to some nice little blowouts.

CURRENT NICKNAMES
  • Munchie (still my favorite) and Little Man (Joey's choice). I still sometimes call him Sunny or Fusspot (but he'd getting less fussy all the time)
  • Mr. Patootie (from Cutie Patootie - because he's so cute!)
  • Bubbles or Drooly Macguire (because he drools and blows bubbles all the time)
  • Stinker or Stinkpot (not sure why)
Blowing a bubble

Still a little fussy at times



DAY TO DAY
  • We are starting to get somewhat more into a routine. I had a realization at some point that he was getting overtired and read that babies should be napping every 1-2 hours and you need to HELP them go to sleep. I had no idea! So now I put him down every 90 minutes or so. The day goes something like this...
    • Wake up at 6am - try to get him to sleep until 7am
    • Feed him and play with him for about an hour
    • Nap in Swing for an hour or two (Mommy gets to exercise!)
    • Feed him and play with him for about an hour
    • Nap in stroller/cosleeper, feed him, play with him, repeat
    • Go to bed with me around 9:30ish (although we JUST started working on putting him to bed alone around 8-8:30 for a little grown up time. We'll see how this goes)
  • Thanks to my many mommy friends I've figured out how to get him to nap alone in the cosleeper during the day (REJOICE!!) The key is swaddling him and nursing him to sleep with a little noise in the background. Then I can move him over to his cosleeper and roll on out. He'll sleep up to 3 hours like this! This is a total gamechanger! Now I can actually do stuff instead of just nap all day!
  • Nighttime sleeping is still going well but he has been a little more restless in the early morning - say around 3 or 4 am. I hope it's a phase.
Napping in his cosleeper to a little rain noise

Big stretch! Kind of looks like a little caterpillar


MILESTONES  AND FIRSTS
  • SMILES! Finally!! It took him a while and he is still somewhat stingy with them but we are seeing more and more everyday. It is so awesome!
  • Rolling Over - He doesn't particularly like tummy time so he grunts and wiggles until he rolls over. 
  • Making bubbles - Lots of "raspberries" now. Time to bring out the bibs!
  • Cooing - He is "talking" like crazy now and starting to interact more
  • Grabbing (and hair pulling!)
  • Lots of little firsts...everything is still new
    • first time meeting his grandparents!
    • first race
    • first picnic
    • first shots :(
    • first diaper blowout
    • first bottle
    • first beer picture (JOEY!)
Hello smiley!
Cooing. Can you hear the "Guuurrrr?"
Sleeping through his first picnic
Joey giving him his first bottle. He chugged it down!
First beach day
First race
First beer pose picture. I'm sure there will be more of these...
First shots :(



CHALLENGES
  • Getting in a routine - I've been trying to look for patterns to see when his natural nap times are so I can reinforce them. I have the worst memory in the world so I started charting his sleep times. There seems to be very little consistency so far so we are just winging it for now. 
  • Pumping - Pumping sucks! (pun intended - haha) No really, it does. It is so inconvenient with all the pieces and finding the time while watching him. Plus I only get one ounce each session. ONE OUNCE! That means I need three sessions for one bottle. Boo. I started taking fenugreek and eating lots of oatmeal to boost my milk supply but I haven't seen any impact yet. I only want to store some milk so I can occasionally leave him for more than a couple hours to get things done, but man, it is so hard.
  • Diaper leaks - For some reason we have had poop leaking out of the leg openings and wet spots on his side in both our disposable and cloth diapers. We thought his size 1 diapers were getting too short so we switched to size 2 and no luck. Maybe he is just an awkward size right now. In the meantime, we are doing a lot of dirty laundry.
  • Separation anxiety - I even get uncomfortable when he takes naps by himself. It's hard loving someone so much. 
Looking for napping patterns
First of many diaper blowouts


JACK LIKES...
  • He still likes his swing (although not as much), stroller walks, white noise, baths, looking over the shouler, standing on your lap, and OF COURSE, laying on the changing table (what's up with that?). He doesn't seem to care for his play mat anymore. 
  • Silly noises and faces, play time - He likes sitting face to face and watching me make funny faces and noises. This is when I get the most smiles.
  • The rattle - Any sort of loud constant noise soothes him and the rattle is a lifesaver when he is really fussy. 
  • His vitamin - The kid will eat anything that is put in his mouth! He likes the sweetness and sucks it right down.
  • Looking around, especially outside - He is gettting bored looking around our living room and likes looking out the window or going outside.
  • The moonwalk - He loved grandpa's little mirror jump (see last post)
Little man loves to stand!
Sitting on daddy's lap making faces
A silly face
More faces
LOVING the changing table!
Being soothed by his Peruvian rattle
Still loves sucking on his hand
The face he makes when I make silly noises. Haha.



JACK DOESN'T LIKE...
  • He still doesn't like the ring sling, although he'll tolerate the gemini. He will sometimes take the Soothie brand passy but I wouldn't say he loves it. He is getting better about being buckled in and he will sleep by himself (YAY!)
  • Being ignored! He likes attention and does not like it when you try to multitask while holding him.
Getting more used to the gemini carrier
Riding in the carrier with mommy
Kind of taking the soothie passy

WE ARE...
  • Getting better at this parenting thing!
  • Still tired on some days
  • Loving hanging out with other parents (especially my weekday mommy meetups)
  • Kind of obsessed with him...
We love this little man so much!

That's it for now! Have a good week!

4 comments:

  1. http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Mama-Angel-Baby-Milkmaid/dp/B0032AM8JG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370881767&sr=8-1&keywords=organic+milkmaid+tea
    This tea is great for milk production. They have it at Whole Foods, or here on Amazon.

    http://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-feeding-schedules/
    This site is amazing for sample sleep/nap and feeding schedules. I used them every month and printed off the sheets for Chris to view also. It's a good guide so I know Zach was getting enough sleep. GL.
    - Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you may not be able to pump much doesn't mean you are low on supply, some people just don't respond well to pumping. I tried when I went back to work and tried everything but it took me half and hour to get an ounce and I had plenty of milk.

    Be careful with the vitamin, Jenny and I never did those, I don't like putting anything in their mouths but milk and they can get too much of certain vitamins if you are both taking vitamins and eating healthy, whether or not vitamins actually work is still widely debated. If they are not benefiting from the vitamin, it is just sugar.

    You guys are doing great! He is a cutie, separation anxiety is completely normal, I'd be worried if you didn't have it, it is instinctual. Looking back at Jamestown and Williamsburg and the Powhatan Indians, none of them had all the over information and baby stuff we have today, everyone parents differently, Heath would go insane if we scheduled like some people do, he wants our kids to be able to go with the flow, so we are more flexible but you have to do what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! He's just so stinkin' cute - those faces that he makes - forget it! I also love the fact that you put the "happy/sleep" spreadsheet up =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack is growing up so fast! Don't worry about his weight. Parla is also in the 10-20th percentile in weight. I think it's because these babies are breastfed and not formula-fed, which makes them a LOT heavier.

    On tracking sleep...I laughed when I saw your spreadsheet. I did the same thing! I actually found this one to be a little easier to see patterns: http://www.babyzone.com/baby/sleep-chart_218323.

    You guys are doing such a great job as parents!

    ReplyDelete