Thursday, August 12, 2010

Portland!


WORK HEADQUARTERS AND DESIGN CONFERENCE
Last weekend I spent 5 days in Portland for a short work trip. My company's headquarters is there and they were hosting a big international design conference. My director thought it would be a good opportunity to meet some of my northern coworkers and network a bit with other industry peeps. So I went. Here is a picture of the conference room in my company's headquarters. The building was so super modern and design-y. I did not feel cool enough to be there.
I also spent some time at my coworker Doug's office. It was designed in the typical rustic modern portland style. Very comfy feeling.
I was able to catch a couple of speakers at the conference. This talk was by a researcher would designs products for people in Nepal. I would love to get into social design!

On Saturday night, I attended the yearly idea awards. They awarded 38 awards to the most innovative products released this year...very interesting.

Here is my favorite one. It was actually in the student category, designed by a student in india. It's a humane mouse catcher. Do you get how it works? So clever!



WEEKEND FUN!

I had Sunday free and had a chance to explore the city a bit. But first, I needed a hair cut. I've been SO busy lately that I haven't had a minute free to do it. So I went in Portland. Check out my new bangs. I look 5 years younger (oops!)

I met up with Doug for a hot dog in the square. Yumm.


Then I explored a little on my own. Portland is apparently known for having a crazy food cart culture. On almost every corner there are TONS of these gourmet little food carts serving all sorts of delicious food. Although most of them were closed on Sunday. But it was really kind of weird.

I found a market! I have a sixth sense for these things. :)

Ah....northwestern baby gear. How cute.

This guy made things out of silverware and weird headband prop things that make it look like something is going through your head...if that makes sense. So for example he had one that had two halves of a saw on each side of the headband to make it look like your head was cut in half. If you look close you can see he has one with tongs on...

Next I found a FOOD festival! Yum Yum!
VooDoo Donuts were there. Bacon maple bar anyone? Or would you prefer a donut sprinkled with tang?
Lots of beer tasting for all of oregon's local craft beers. I like the creativity in the tip jar.

And of course lots of cheese! MMMM Oregonzola!

Bikers and bridges everywhere! Portland is so outdoorsy.


A trash can full of milk cartons. I love this picture for some reason.

And lastly I visited Portland's very own Powell's books - the largest bookstore in the US. It takes up an entire city block! They hand you a map when you walk in the front door!
Multiple levels and color coded rooms. Pretty cool!

And I even found an interesting book for my flight home!


DINNER FROM SCRATCH, PORTLAND STYLE

Sunday night, Doug invited me to his house to have a cookout with his family. I met his wife and two boys, 8 and 12. His neighborhood was so cute and historic - right out of a movie. Here he is in his little back yard.

Here is his garage with his old time truck and his kid's little ice cream stand. They make home made ice cream during the summer and sell it to people who come through the neighborhood on a historic home tour. So cute!
Dinner was delicious and everything was as fresh as can be. The corn and blueberries were hand picked from a farm that morning. The whipped cream was actually HAND whipped (I didn't even know you could do that!) The beer was a local craft favorite. And I can only assume that he caught the salmon by hand out of a local river and slaughtered the cow...
What a great time! Thanks Doug and family!




BACK TO SO CAL
On Monday it was time to head home. Portland is actually a pretty awesome city. Who knew? I just always assumed it was the same place as Seattle and all people did was carry umbrellas and drink coffee... I guess you never stop learning.


While I was gone Joey went to a sand castle competition. Look for pics to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment