Sunday, November 14, 2010

Random San Diego Exploration

MUSEUM OF MAN

Balboa park is San Diego's big central park area and it is filled with museums. Joey and I have been trying to find time to visit some of them but we never seem to get around to it. Last weekend we got a 2 for 1 deal off Groupon and made it over to the Museum of Man. I'm really into cultural and anthropology so I was really excited.

They had a lot of carvings and cultural objects from south and central america. This was one of my favorites - a corn god carved out of a gourd.

They had lots of large scale carvings too and showed you how to read hieroglyphics. Very interesting.

One of the seasonal exhibits was about the origins of games. We learned all about how different games were developed. I like this snakes and ladders adaptation to teach Indians about dental health. Very interesting.

There was also a section on evolution. Did you know that we share 50% of our DNA with bananas!?? Who knew!?


There was a lot of other cool stuff but those were a couple of things I captured with my iphone. Not too much exciting to talk about - just a relaxing Sunday in the park.



SEARCH FOR FISH TACOS

San Diego is known for it's fish tacos but for some reason Joey and I haven't been able to find a really awesome one yet. So we've decided to start a search for the best. Last weekend we went to this sketchy fish taco truck that was rated one of the best. It was all in spanish and only mexicans were there. We took that as a good sign. They turned out to be pretty good (well, until I accidently put ketchup on our second one thinking it was hot sauce...) but we feel like we need to continue to check out the competition.



To continue the search, this weekend I went to a local chain called Rubios. They are said to have the "original" fish taco. I tried one grilled and one fried. Both were ok but I think the taco truck is better.

We will continue the search and hopefully by the time you all come to visit, we'll have a clear winner!




NOVEMBER KAYAKING IN SAN DIEGO

November weather in San Diego is ridiculous. Every day is sunny and 75. It gets cool at night but it feels like summer. So today we went to take a sailing lesson to make use of this awesome weather. Unfortunately there wasn't enough wind, so we ended up kayaking in the bay instead. I just can't get enough of the scenery around here!


We saw lots of cool sea birds too. We spent at least half the time chasing birds and trying to take pictures of them. Here is one that came out well.


So that's it. Mostly just relaxing these days but we'll have some fun coming up. My friend Karen from Atlanta, now living in Kentucky, is coming this week for work and next week my Dad is coming to town with his gf and my brother for Thanksgiving. Oh, and to give a work update - I officially finished my first project at Ziba California! YAYYYAYAYAYYAYAY! I had a really big presentation last week that went well and now I have a few weeks to relax before the next one starts up again.

Have a good week everyone! Keep up your postings! :)

1 comment:

  1. If we're 50% related to bananas, then bananas MUST be good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete