A few weeks ago Joey and I tried to go backpacking in Cleveland National Forest. We spent all week picking a trail, getting a overnight permit, and all Saturday morning getting all our stuff ready - but it didn't end up happening.
We assumed that it was a desert hike and that it would be warm - perfect weather for camping. However, when we got there we quickly realized we were actually quite high in the mountains and it was in the 40s mid day! We debated in the car for like 10 min and finally decided that we were not adequately prepared to camp in such cold weather and we would just go on a day hike instead. It was kind of a bummer and we felt a little bit like wimps, but I know myself and I complain camping in 50 degree weather so I knew that it was for the best. We put on every layer we brought and set out on the trail.
The terrain was really bizarre. It kind of felt like being in the movie the Lion King. All kinds of creepy trees and barren landscapes.
Since we were not planning on doing a day hike, we really didn't know how far to go or where to turn around. We chose a random spot and called it a victory - although honestly I'm not that fond of hikes that don't have some sort of vista or end point...so I climbed up on a big boulder and pretended that I achieved something.
Even in the middle of the day, I was freezing. I tried hiding from the freezing wind to eat my snack. Brrr!
On the way home we decided to stop at a little hole in the wall Mexican place with rave reviews. Joey loved his carne asada cactus thingy. Yum!
Not the best hike but at least we got out of the house! We'll definitely remember to check the weather next time!!
A MANLY WEEKEND
Ok guys, prepare to be jealous. Last weekend Joey went for a "man's weekend" with a bunch of friends. This was right after Valentine's Day and the goal was to get all the estrogen out of their system. It involved camping, riding 4 wheelers, and shooting guns in the desert.
Friday night they drove 2 hours east to the desert and set up camp in the dark. The next morning they woke up to a beautiful desert sunset (my words, not Joey's) and headed out to the 4 wheeler rental place.
I obviously was not there and Joey refuses to write on the blog so I'm going to just do my best to account for the experience. Here is Fabian ready for some serious 4 wheelin'.
This is our friend Brian (in the back of the truck) and his roommate that I don't know. For some reason I think this picture is hilarious. So redneck looking.
Joey getting ready.
Our friend Brian from Georgia showing his southern roots. Nice cutoff plaid shirt and american flag bandanna.
And off they go!
It looks like they got a little lost...but I don't blame them, it's impossible to know where you are in the desert!
Self pic of Fabian.
Some of this looks a little dangerous. There isn't a picture but apparently Fabian flipped his over doing donuts. Boys!
I think this picture is awesome.
Pit stop for lunch - at the only place serving food for miles around.
And more riding!
Apparently it was really bumpy and Joey got crazy blisters on his hands.
Joey and Brian.
All the guys.
Later that night they set up camp and had a bonfire.
The campsite the next morning - in the middle of nowhere!
Time to shoot guns! I think they were shooting at cans or something...
Wow Joey, you look so tough!
They all had a great time and are already planning their next trip.
GIRL'S HIKE UP IRON MOUNTAIN
While Joey was living it up in the desert, I stayed home and had a relaxing weekend. I hung out with some friends, did a little shopping, and just hung out. Sunday morning I wanted to get out of the house so Franzi and I went for a hike at Iron Mountain. This is one of the most popular hikes in SD so I have been wanting to try it.
Here I am at the trailhead. I loved how the sign framed the peak you were about to climb. Very cool!
Like most of the hikes in SD, it was really rocky with a lot of chaparral. Parts of the trail were steep but not too bad. There were families with 4 and 5 year olds hiking it if that tells you anything.
The view at the top was beautiful. It was a little windy but felt good. We sat at one of the two picnic tables and had a nice little lunch.
Me and Franzi. A nice hike!
So that's it. From this post it looks like we are outside all the time but really we aren't. With me working from home and Joey studying for school all the time, we spend like 90% of our time inside. Joey is starting to feel the effects of school and work and is tired a lot. I'm a little depressed because of lack of human interaction and even though I've had a lot of leads, I haven't had many projects come through. It'll be ok though - we'll get used to it!
Until next time....



Looks like fun. I feel your pain about being depressed with lack of human interaction. I get that sometimes with just munchkins to talk to (even if they are human). Heath talks on the phone all day and usually doesn't want to talk. It does get easier. Hope he can finish school quickly and things go well for you guys!
ReplyDelete