HOW'D I FORGET VALENTINES DAY!??
First, I'd like to back up a little bit. In my last post I forgot to say anything about Valentine's Day! Valentine's day is one of my favorite days of the year. I like wearing clashing pink / purple / red outfits, handing out sweets to my friends, and spreading cheer in general. Also, my dad always sends me a card that makes me smile. This is the one he sent me this year.
He put the cut out of himself in it that I gave him for Christmas. So clever! I like to think I get some of my creativity from him :)
The only downside to Valentine's day this year was that Joey had class late. So while he was at school I made him some funfetti cupcakes! Yumm! I made the whole box, which made like 24 and I thought we'd never go through them all. I was wrong. Joey ate like 16 of them, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. I also had a few and shared a few with friends - gotta share the love!
When Joey finally did get home we went out for hot wings. Joey and I don't like the regular traditions like getting gifts or going out to a fancy dinner. Instead, we do something totally casual and fun and last year we decided to make hot wings our new tradition. For some reason, Valentine's day and hot wings seem to go together for me...and Joey's not complaining! Mmmm this year we went boneless!
MARRIED PEOPLE DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER!
Here's a really random one (that I might get in trouble for!) On President's day we both had dentist appointments at the same time. The dentist office was so busy because it was a holiday that they put us in the same exam room! It was really awkward sitting in the corner watching Joey get his teeth cleaned and then having him watch me. I certainly learned a lesson - never make a dentist appointment on a holiday - they overbook!
GAME NIGHT!
As many of you probably know, I'm a HUGE fan of the game Pictionary. I have loved (and been awesome at) this game since I was a little girl and I would play with my family. I always talk about organizing a game night with friends to force them to play Pictionary with me but for some reason I never end up doing it. Well this time I did it! Feeling extra inspired by my new whiteboard, I organized a Saturday night pizza party game night to play Pictionary Win Lose or Draw style. Joey helped me rig up the whiteboard using all my gym equipment. We felt pretty smart. :)
We had a great turn out. Everyone I invited came - can you believe it??? 100% acceptance - plus a few guests! We almost didn't have room for everybody!
Many people had never played before but quickly got the hang of it. It was boys against girls (of course- I don't know why that ALWAYS seems to happen) and it got pretty intense. People were jumping up shouting, high five-ing - I mean, I always knew the game was awesome but I didn't expect THIS much enthusiasm!
It was a really close game - the girls were WAY ahead and then the boys came back in an amazing wining streak. Here are the pieces on the last stretch - so close!
After a hard fought series of all plays, the boys walked away victorious! They were sportsman-like enough to give us the "good game" high fives. I love how Jordan is clearly showing a sigh of relief in this picture. Breathe Jordan, it's just a game! :)
I can't wait for the next round! I love game night!
BRUNCHING AT THE BEACH
In an attempt to take more advantage of living in San Diego, I have been trying to do more things at the beach. One Sunday I went out to a girls brunch in Pacific Beach to a restaurant with a rooftop patio. We had to wait inside - right by the bar - for a table for a while. I couldn't resist getting a bloody mary. I hadn't had one in forever!
Finally we got a table upstairs. Can you see the beach in the background?? Hello California!
However, the only problem with brunching at the beach (and starting off the day with a bloody mary) is that it makes you feel like you are on vacation! And a lot of people around you ARE on vacation, and every place is hopping! So after brunch we went over to a beach bar that was packed and had a little cerveza for dessert. It felt like I was on Spring Break!
Where was Joey during all this you may ask? He was at home writing a paper. I know, sad. :( But since he waited til the last minute and researched and wrote the entire paper in one day - it was no fun for me either when I later had to edit it!
TUESDAY FLOWERS
Work has been picking up for me a little bit but it's still hard working at home and not having a lot of human interaction - as I mentioned last time. This has put me into a little bit of a funk. Joey, being the absolutely wonderful husband that he is, came home one Tuesday with beautiful flowers and a Starbucks gift card to help cheer me up. How did I get so lucky!??
FAB'S BIRTHDAY
Last Tuesday Fab turned 31. We celebrated in his favorite way - with pizza and beer.
He was so surprised to see a cake.
Happy Birthday Fab!
BEACH DAYS ARE OFFICIALLY HERE!
Last weekend was amazing! The weather was sunny and in the high 70s so we all headed out to the beach. Summer is almost here!
Joey and Jordan did a little surfing.
And we all stayed to see the sunset. :)
SNOWBOARDING
On Sunday the weather was still amazing but Joey had been dying to do a little snowboarding before the season ends. So early early in the morning he drove out to east LA to Mountain High with Jordan and Franzi. I opted out since I can't get the obsessive thoughts of catching an edge and tumbling down the mountain out of my head (not that that is even how I broke my wrist...) so Franzi borrowed my stuff and took my place...Here they are getting geared up.
Breakfast of champions - a burrito and a beer.
The slopes.
A Joey eye view.
As the day went on, it really warmed up. Joey was snowboarding in a tshirt and there is a girl behind him in this picture wearing a tank top...crazy.
Not so much snow...but apparently it was still pretty good riding.
Lunch time. Man, it looks hot.
I love this picture. Haha.
It was 69 degrees by the end of the day - pretty much the same temperature as back in SD. Crazy! But they all had a great time!
In the meantime, I spent the day on the beach with Stephanie - where it is safe! (and normal to be wearing tshirts!)
NEW OBSESSION
Super random but I have become obsessed with making hotdogs with spicy mustard and bbq sauce. It is such a great combination! This last time I also added jalepenos which was good but led to some serious heartburn. The next time I did one with the mustard/bbq combo with a little cheddar cheese and a pickle. I think I may need to start my own hotdog stand - I think I'm a hot dog genius!
NO REALLY, I DID...
And last but not least, I'm an idiot. Ok, maybe that's a little harsh but... Today while I was at the doctor getting my immunizations for Peru (yay Peru!), I left my car RUNNING in the parking lot. Yep, you read that right. I left my car ON, UNLOCKED and went into the clinic. Thirty minutes later they made an announcement ("will the owner of a blue nissan....") and I went out and realized what I had done. How embarrassing!!? How could I have possibly done that!? And then I realized how...
My car is a fancy pants keyless car that is turned on AND OFF by the push of a button....and I pushed the wrong button. That's right, I turned off the RADIO instead. See the proximity and likeness of the two round conrols:
START/STOP on the left, radio power on the right. Ooops! I guess my dad was right, I don't have any common sense! At least nothing bad happened!
---------------------------------------------
And that does it. Tomorrow Joey's parents get here for the week. We are so excited to see them and share our city with them! Look for pictures of their visit next time!
Happy Tuesday everybody!!
GREAT post. I think these are the best ones too! I am so glad you have found friends to have game nights with, it looks like you had so much fun. Keep enjoying your "vacation life" hopefully we can come visit sometime in the not too distant future!
ReplyDelete