Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Christmas Part 2 - Visiting Friends and Holiday Celebrations with the Heithauses

Ok, we're back with part 2....

THURSDAY - CATCHING UP WITH FRIENDS
Thursday morning after a greasy and delicious breakfast at Waffle House, we drove into the city to meet Joey's college friend Steve at Taco Mac. We spent a few hours catching up and learning all about his exciting life up in the north east then went by campus to drop him off at the old Sig Ep house where I got this lovely picture. It's funny to me that Steve is Joey's "little brother" in the fraternity. He doesn't look so little to me!


Then we spent the afternoon driving around campus reminiscing and seeing all the things that have changed. We drove by the old intramural soccer fields where we first met. I debated making us get out of the car for a romantic-type picture but it was kind of cold and I felt lazy. Then we killed some time at Target and Dunkin Donuts (yay for Dunkin Donuts coffee!) before driving up north to visit Eric and Elizabeth at their awesome new house. 


They made some delicious mexican crockpot chicken and I pigged out on my first healthy meal in days. It was so great to eat something nutritious! Thanks so much guys! We also got to see their little one Evie, who has grown SO MUCH since our last visit last December. I can't get over how much she looks like both of them. 


Here is a picture from our last visit. Crazy how fast they grow!


We spent the evening just chatting and hanging out before eventually calling it a night and breaking in their new guest room. 



FRIDAY - MORE FRIEND FUN
We slept in a bit in the morning, said goodbye to Elizabeth and Evie and drove back into midtown to visit my friend Jenny who just had a baby in October. Her baby's name is Parla and she is adorable. We spent the afternoon with her catching up and imagining our own lives in a few months. Luckily Parla is a very good baby so we didn't get freaked out...


That evening we went over to Pradeep and Sarah's house where they were graciously hosting a little get together for all our friends so we could see everyone at once. Here I am with Lainey, Sarah, and Marcus.  


My oldest friend Erin and her new fiance Andy even made it up from Fayetteville. They had JUST got engaged like a week before and this was my first time meeting him. Congratulations guys!!!


It was so much fun hanging out with everyone, just like old times. Here is Joey with Pradeep, Ryan, and Kanno. I think this is pre or post tequila shot...Like I said, just like old times. 


Sophia and Pradeep and Sarah even surprised us with little baby gifts. How thoughtful!



Group picture! Although, unfortunately, this was taken after some people had left. Also, I'm looking a little whale-ish. Don't judge me. I ate way too much of Sarah's DELICIOUS food. Sarah is an amazing cook!


Joey and I with our gracious hosts. Thanks so much guys!






SATURDAY - CELEBRATING CHRISTMAS AT THE LAKE
The next morning we woke up bright and early and drove up to Joey's parent's lake house in South Carolina. We were lucky enough to cross paths with Joey's aunt Barb and family from New Jersey as they were passing through on their drive back home. Joey's sisters, Chris' wife and their families were also there. It was a full house!


We spent the day just lounging, talking, and playing with the kids. Here is Beth's newest baby Luke sporting his awesome faux hawk. Last time we saw him he was just a few weeks old in Myrtle Beach!


Brianna and I snuck away for a little bit to wrap gifts. She is quite the little helper!



In the afternoon, Barb, Mike and Julia had to continue their drive up north so we had to say goodbye. It was a short but sweet visit!


Then, more playing with the kids. Here Brianna is giving Grace a piggy back ride. 


Here I am with Katelyn and Brianna making our mean/scary faces. 


Then it was time to exchange presents. SO MANY PRESENTS! Kids first!


Alex got a cowboy hat and a Woody doll, which he LOVED. He was so adorable in that hat. 


We skyped with Chris in Charleston and Tim, Lauren, and baby Robert in Seattle during the gift opening. Skype is an amazing thing!


After the kids went to bed, the adults opened their presents. Joey's dad got a painting from all the siblings of a father and son golfing. The little boy looked just like Alex. 


Joey and I racked up the baby gear. 


Last but not least, we gave Joey's parents a scrapbook of the Myrtle Beach trip to thank them for such a wonderful vacation. 


So many great and generous gifts. What fun!




SUNDAY- HANGING WITH FAMILY AND A BABY SHOWER
Sunday morning we went to church and then more hanging around the house. Grandpa grew a crowd reading a story.

-

Claire, Jenny's newest baby girl, crawled around being cute.


Joey played ball in the yard with Sam and got a little sentimental about our little boy on the way. 


For lunch, Joey's mom prepared their traditional snack-y holiday meal - Joey's favorite. This also turned out to be a surprise shower for us! 


After eating, we gathered around the couch and opened gifts. So many generous baby gifts! Cute outfits, blankets, frames, a bouncy seat, and even our stroller and car seat from Joey's parents! Thank you all so much!


We spent a few more hours hanging out before Beth and Jenny's families had to head back home. Here is a picture of Alex eating a cookie as big as his head. He ate the whole thing too. It only took him like 30 minutes of nibbling. 


And here is Joey with Luke, Sam and little Zachary. We were sorry Chris couldn't make it down this time.


Me and my buddy Sam. I tried to get him to come home to San Diego with us but he said I could only take his picture home instead. I guess that'll have to do. Haha.


After most of the kids left, it was a pretty low key evening. Joey, Sam and Joey's parents played a dice game and I started reading the baby book. 





MONDAY- NEW YEAR'S EVE HIKE
By Monday I was dying to get a little exercise so we decided to go on a short hike (relatively) nearby. It was nice to get outside and move around a little bit.


The hike ended at a nice waterfall which made for some great photo opps. 


We also stopped by an old incomplete railway tunnel and explored a bit. 


That night we went back to the house, had a nice dinner and just talked for a while. We did stay up to midnight but I didn't get any pictures of ringing in the New Year.  Not that the pictures would be exciting anyways...but that's ok, it comes with the pregnant territory. 



TUESDAY - BACK TO SAN DIEGO
The next morning we had to get up early, figure out how to pack up all our baby gear, and say good bye to Joey's parents. It was so nice to get to see so much family in such a short visit and to spend a little alone time with his parents at the end. What a great trip!


We drove back down to Atlanta in the rain, grabbed a farewell bite at Zaxby's, and then headed to the airport. A few hours later we were home sweet home in good ole San Diego. 



So that's it, our entire trip! We really packed a lot into a short period of time but it was totally worth it to see everyone. We don't have plans to head back east for a while with the baby on the way so we wanted to maximize our visit. I guess now all our east coast friends and family will just have to come out west to visit us! So, who's up!?? We have a guest room with your name on it!

I hope you all enjoyed your holidays as much as we did! We feel very fortunate to have such great family and friends! 

Oh, and if you want to see more pictures of friends and adorable children, here is the full album. Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Crystal - I seriously love all these pictures =) And my goodness...what a jam-packed trip! You two are serious troopers! Love the update - can't wait to meet the little one!!

    ReplyDelete