ESTIMATED SIZE
- Weighing in at 12lbs 4ish oz - It looks like his weight gain is slowing a bit but I'm trying not to worry since he seems content after feedings. We'll see what the doctor says at 4 months.
- Length ~ 24in - I'm not exactly sure since I measured him myself
- Growing out of 0-3 months, filling out 3 months - He is so long and he has a big head that doesn't fit through a lot of outfits! He is outgrowing outfits faster than we can put them on him. We are so sad when we pull out an adorable new outfit just to find out it is already tight :(
- Wearing size 2 diapers comfortably now. This has reduced the number of diaper blowouts.
 |
| Well, this onesie doesn't fit anymore! |
CURRENT NICKNAMES
- Munchie (and all variants Mr. Munchie, Mr. Munchiekins, etc.) has become his official nickname. All others are in the moment type - Sunny, Fusspot, Stinker, etc.
 |
| Hello Mr. Munchiekins! |
DAY TO DAY
- I mastered the daytime nap schedule! The 90 minute "routine" works like a charm! I had so much free time this month it was unheard of. Each day looked something like this...
- Wake up at 6am or earlier (eek! the little rooster is up with the sun!)
- 90 minutes awake - Feed him and play with him
- 2-3 hour morning nap in swing (HELLLOO free time!)
- 90 minutes awake - Feed him and play with him
- 1-2 hour nap in cosleeper (nursed to sleep, swaddled with rain noise)
- Repeat until "bedtime" (ha! as if there was such a thing!) around 8:30 (when the sun goes down)
- He is more alert, playful and independent! Playtime is much more fun now. We can talk to each other, make faces, walk around and look at stuff, play with toys, sing. He is definitely more engaged now. He also can entertain himself more now. I can just lay him on the play mat and he'll just coo and swat at the toys.
- He still sleeps with me ok but is consistently restless in the early morning. I start feeling little kicks and hearing little grunts around 3-4 am. It's usually gas and if I can help him pass it, he'll go right back to sleep.
 |
| My morning view :) |
 |
| Jack LOVES his morning swing nap! |
 |
| Grabbing at the toys |
 |
| Playing with Daddy |
 |
| Co-Napping |
 |
| Lap napping at the park |
 |
| Well hello little rooster! (Picture taken around 5am!) |
MILESTONES / BEHAVIORS AND FIRSTS
Oy, I'm so bad at this one. I can't really tell and everyday blends together. But some new things, I think...
- More grabbing - He likes to sit in our lap at the table now and he will grab at things. We were shocked the other day when he got a good handle on Joey's salad bowl and almost pulled it off the table!
- Found his hands - He plays with his hands all day. It doesn't appear that he is too aware of his feet - maybe a little bit - unless I put crazy colored socks on him.
- Slobber city - He is always soaking wet from his own drool - especially since he loves trying to stick his fist (and sometimes both fists) in his mouth
- Face scratching - His nails grow so fast and now that he's rubbing his eyes when he is tired, his face gets all scratched up. It's so sad!
- More firsts
- First babysitter
- First dinner out (success!)
- First baby massage
 |
| Look at that puddle of slobber! |
 |
| Starting to like books! |
 |
| His hands are always filthy! |
 |
| So interested in his feet! (when he has checkered socks on!) |
 |
| Tired baby, rubbing his eyes (and scratching his face!) |
 |
| First dinner out at a nearby pizza place |
 |
| Skyping with Grandma & Grandpa Heithaus |
CHALLENGES
- Changes ahead! With him hitting the 3 month mark, it looks like my 90 minute nap routine might now work so well anymore. Just over the last few days, he has been staying awake longer or shorter - and is harder to put to sleep in a swaddle. He'll also outgrow the swing soon. So I may have to find new tricks soon!
- Sleeping - Maybe it's the "4 month sleep regression" coming early but bedtime has been a little rough lately. For the first time ever, he hasn't let me nurse him to sleep. And the 3-5 am gassy period continue to be a challenge. We are hoping it's a phase...
- Getting smiles on camera! This kid is too distracted by the camera! He'll be all smiley but as soon as we pull out the camera, he just stares blankly. I have to be super fast to try to capture a smile, which usually means a blurry picture and an off camera gaze!
 |
| Breaking out of the swaddle |
Trying to capture smiles!
JACK LIKES...
- (Still likes...) the swing (mostly for sleeping), stroller walks, white noise, baths, looking over the shouler, standing on your lap, silly noises and faces, the rattle, and looking around. The changing table magic has worn off for some reason, although he still likes it ok.
- Playing on the playmat again
- Sitting in your lap facing out - The world is so interesting now!
- Playing with the blanket - Playing under it, sticking it in his mouth, just grabbing it - he loves his blankey!
- Sticking his fists (or anything) in his mouth - (see slobber city above)
- Spinning in the chair while I sing Old McDonald (btw, I'm AWFUL at making animal sounds!)
- Walks in the carrier (gemini or Moby) - Hooray! He likes the carrier now! They even soothe him at night. Oh, and they allow me to go grocery shopping. Three successful trips this month!
- Grabbing my nursing necklace, or anything really. (Side note, I love my nursing necklace! They are cute and functional!)
- Flying/playing helicopter (my triceps are going to look pretty good!)
- Toys and books! He is finally showing an interest in stuff. He likes his giraffe, musical thingy, grabby chain, frog rattle blanket, and more!
- Oh and, I'm embarrassed to admit, watching TV - We realized that he was just so calm sitting in Joey's lap or laying on his blanket in the evenings a few times and finally realized it was because he was watching the TV! The little stinker! We know babies under the age of 2 aren't supposed to watch TV so we try not to let him but he steals a glance every chance he gets! (And in DIRE situations, when nothing else works, we MAY let him watch it for 5-10 min while we eat dinner...hopefully we aren't frying his brain...)
 |
| Playing helicopter (imagine the noise my mouth is making) |
 |
| Loving playing under the blanket! |
 |
| Just chillin with daddy. So calm now! |
 |
| He loves facing out. The world is so interesting! |
 |
| Sitting in daddy's lap |
 |
| Maybe I can get BOTH hands in here... |
 |
| Carrier soothing on a fussy night |
 |
| Ahh sleeping on daddy's chest |
 |
| Ooh that squeaky giraffe is interesting |
 |
| Sleeping in the moby (I LOVE the moby!) |
 |
| Checking out the action at the park |
 |
| Chewing on mommy and daddy's fingers |
 |
| Watching the musical radio thingy |
 |
| Happily playing by himself at the beach |
 |
| Loving his blanket |
 |
| Watching TV :O! The little stinker! |
JACK DOESN'T LIKE...
- Tummy time - Nope, not having it. Honestly I don't try as much as I should but he hates it. I'm sure he'll be able to crawl eventually, even if he is a little slow...
- Short naps - Sometimes he'll wake him self up coughing or with gas after just 20 minutes of sleeping. That is not good. Hello Mr. Grump!
 |
| Hating even modified tummy time on daddy's chest |
 |
| Looking grumpy |
 |
| Baby tears make me sad :( |
WHAT THEY SAY... (A new category, inspired by Elizabeth, as usual)
WE ARE...
- Amazed at how cute he is. Seriously, we can't get over it (we're biased, I know)
- Having so much fun playing with him!
- Enjoying this time while he's little and cuddly, he is growing so fast!
- Trying not to stress about "the right way" to do things (especially me) - There is so much "advice" out there and so many people are quick to judge, it's really hard to be confident, especially with your first, but I'm trying! (Joey doesn't care, haha)
I love this - happy 3rd month to baby Jack!! And yes, I'm sorry, but he is like a little mini Joey. I do see some Crystal poking through! His grumpy face pictures are too much =)
ReplyDeleteSo proud of you both as new parents! Very exciting to share all the notes and pictures and progress. The grumpy picture kind of scared me..(hiding under my blankey!).
ReplyDelete