Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Kara: 2 months!


On my birthday, Kara was 2 months. I'm not going to lie, this last month was rough. Her nightly screaming continued consistently from about 4-7 weeks and it was brutal. I went to a lactation consultant and found out that she has a high palate and sensitive gag reflex which is making her suck in air while nursing which is likely building up and causing her pain at night (poor baby!) - but she should grow out of it by 3 months. In the meantime, Joey figured out a strategy to get her to sleep (wearing her in the carrier while bouncing on the yoga ball) but it never worked for me so he ended up doing that every night for weeks!

Joey's nightly routine...looks fun, doesn't it? 
Multi-tasking - Baby soothing and watching hockey

He wears her A LOT...

This last week or so, things have been getting better and she hardly ever screams at night now, just normal tired baby fussy. Thank goodness for that! However, she continues to randomly have inconsolable screaming episodes during the day. Not often, but it's rough when it happens. It happened at the zoo one afternoon and she literally screamed her head off for 45 minutes. We got some looks. So we are a little scared to take her in public.

Zoo outing - right before the screaming episode

Our other new challenge is bottle feeding. She took a bottle once or twice for Joey's parents but has been refusing them since. This is problematic since I'll be going back to work eventually - probably in August or September. We just keep trying but it is not looking good. I'm trying not to worry...

Daddy's failed bottle attempt

Unhappy baby

Size-wise she is getting huge! She has gained more than an ounce a day on average and was 10 lbs 14 oz (39%) at her 2 month check up. That's almost 4 lbs up from her birth weight! She has a cute little chubby face and baby rolls everywhere! She was also 22 1/2 in long (51%) and her head was 15 1/2 in around (82%.) She is already filling out 3 month outfits and size 1 diapers so we will be moving up very soon.

Hi chubbs! Sorry about those vaccines!

Her daytime routine is pretty consistent now and I'm getting the hang of the newborn thing again. She wakes up around 6:30 (mostly because Jack climbs into the bed) and is awake for about an hour. I swaddle her and bounce her to sleep. She sleeps for 40 min - 2ish hours on me, in the swing, on the couch, or in the rock-n-play and repeats until "bedtime" around 8 or 9. Awake 1 hour, asleep 40 minutes up to 5 or 6 hours (if I quickly nurse her on waking.) When she is awake (and not having an episode) she is a pretty chill baby. She likes to just sit in your lap or in her bouncer and watch what's going on. She is cosleeping well at night but a little restless in the morning around 3-5am. Ugh baby gas...

My view much of the day (I love it!)


Snoozing in the Rock N Play

Sleeping on daddy at the park

Sleeping on the couch

Snoozing in the swing

Snoozing on daddy's lap

I technically got some first smiles around 7 weeks but I had low standards. She still doesn't smile a ton but the last few days she has been looking happier more often. I anticipate many more smiles to come this month.

I counted this as one of the first "smiles." Can you see it???

But this one is totally a smile!

There isn't much she really "likes" right now other than bouncing and being swaddled. She doesn't love the stroller, swing, or carseat but she tolerate them if she is very sleepy. Sometimes she likes the wraps but it's hit or miss. She doesn't really play with any of the toys yet but she is getting grabby (and scratchy!) so I see that happening soon. I've started making faces at her, singing to her, and reading her a few books which seem to mildly entertain her.

Lap faces

Grabbing!

Jack reading Kara a story. So sweet.

She found her hand! And likes to suck on it.

We are pretty happy to be on the back end of the fussy period and looking forward to fun-er times up ahead. She is a handful but we love her like crazy and can't wait to get to know her better as her little personality develops!

Hanging out with Mommy and Jack

Super dad! Playing soccer and bouncing a baby!

Jack loves his litter sister!


No comments:

Post a Comment