Thursday, February 17, 2011

Friends, X-rays, and Dreams

Hi everyone! Sorry I'm WAY overdue for this post. I have been so busy lately, I just haven't made time to do it. I have 30 min now before I have to get ready for work. So here it is my fastest post ever!

EVERYONE CAME TO TOWN!

The last week in January, we had a ton of random friends and former coworkers come to San Diego. Most of them were here for work reasons and it was just a coincidence that they were all here at once. That week we saw Joey's friend Scott, my friends Karen and Jenny, and my old coworkers Mike and Corey. It made for a busy busy week!

I spent the most time with my friend Karen, who many of you may remember as my wonderful wedding coordinator and catcher of the hot potato bouquet. We spent a lovely sunny Saturday at the San Diego Zoo - which we are now members of!

Gotta pose by the gorilla statues! I learned that from all my kids in zoocamp.


We took a nice skybucket ride across which gave us great views of the city.


Ah! A crazy blond monkey!


The flamingoes were going crazy that day! Apparently they were mating so they were running back and forth the yard in large groups squawking and flapping their wings. It was quite a sight!


The cute little pygmy hippos. Who wants one!?


After the zoo, we joined up with Joey and Scott and some other random people that Karen knew in San Diego and went downtown. Here is Joey with a beer larger than his head.


We found a little place to dance and had a great time. I had two realizations this night: you need to swing your arms (both of them!) to dance properly and EVERY song has been in Glee. I just kept saying "This song was in Glee TOO!!"




On Sunday, we went to the Torrey Pines Golf Tournament. Here is an ILLEGAL picture  (no cameras allowed!) Karen snatched of Tiger Woods. He did horrible this day.


The course overlooks the rocky cliffs and the water which made for really nice views in some parts. Although Karen and I realized that we never need to go to a golf tournament again. Talk about a snoozer! If I'm watching golf, I'd rather be dozing in and out on my couch!


Later that week, I spent time with my friend Jenny who was in town doing some research. I miss my Jenny Sun!


Oh, and then my recently former coworkers who live in Portland came to town too! You all remember my travel buddy Doug, right? And this is Isabel. I miss them too!


Hmm..somehow I have no pictures of Scott, Mike, or Corey from this week. Sorry guys! It was still nice to see you!


BEACH DAY

After all the hub-bub of the week, we spent Saturday relaxing at the beach. Here Joey and Fabian are getting ready for their big surf.


While I took a nice walk on the beach and saw a beautiful sunset.



And even found a frozen banana! (There's always money in the banana stand!)



BYE BYE CAST!

Ok, this update is not speedy enough...only 10 more minutes here. I'm picking up the pace... Last Tuesday I had an appointment to get my cast removed so I decided to finally give in to Fabian's dire request to sign the cast.


Here is what he drew....it is a cut line with scissors that says "Hi Doc. In Love Fab."


And he drew this clever little image on the other side. Such a designer!


I also let our intern Elaine sign it. She drew a mountain with a snowboarder. Ahhhh!



The drawings were actually pretty cute and I was sad to see it come off. However, my hand was really starting to get smelly under there and skin was all gross and peel-y since I couldn't wash it. Ew!




So we went to the doctor and my x-rays looked good. You can see my giant 4 screws here.


And my t-shaped plate.


Long story short, the doctor took off the cast, told me "it's STILL BROKEN, use it gently, but BE CAREFUL" and sent me on my way. I was in disbelief! No brace??? Still broken? How does THAT make sense!? My arm looked so weak and vulnerable.


So Joey and I went straight to Wal-mart to buy a brace. I wasn't ready for my protection to be gone! But now it's been about a week and it's fine. I still can't rotate or bend it much but I haven't been wearing the brace. I'm getting closer! About 4-6 more weeks until it is healed!


PICNIC AT THE BAY

Ok, now I have NO time...Last weekend Joey and friends helped my fulfill my first San Diego dream: a picnic at Mission Bay park. I think this park is the most beautiful park ever and I've wanted to have one since I moved here back in April.


We played some bocce (left handed of course.)


Joey killed me in the first game and I ALMOST beat him in the second. Here I am gloating about my awesome placement. Yeah!


My boss Raffaele and his son Luca (who slept in the car almost the entire time) joined us as the grill master.


We made chicken skewers using Joey's mom's chicken marinade. Elaine helped. They were a hit! Thanks mom!


Fabian and Elaine's bf Brian snacking.


It was a beautiful day and a pretty good turnout!


Since the park is on the beach, we also had a bonfire. Here is the fire pit with the bay in the background.


Elaine and Brian roasting marshmallows.


Fabian brought stockbrot (stick bread), which is apparently the marshmallow equivalent in northern Germany. You take dough and rap it around a stick and cook it over the fire...It was not that tasty. It definitely needed a hotdog or cheese inside...


 I also have to point out here how excited Fabian was to be in a picture with a red solo cup. Apparently this is how Germans view Americans from the movies. He was in disbelief that we really do all use red solo cups at parties...

We got a little lazy so rigged up an auto-roaster. See all the stockbrot!


Two smores (one with banana!), three gooey marshmallows, and half a stockbrot later, I was DONE! Time for bed! Thanks everyone for making my dreams come true!!!



Ok, so that's it! My mom is in town this weekend so look for that to come. And, I'm late!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment