Friday, February 28, 2014

Random Updates

I feel like I've been slacking on keeping things up to date on the blog but really it doesn't feel like much has been going on. So while Joey is out celebrating a friend's birthday and I'm home alone while Jack sleeps, I figured I should post some quick updates, even if they aren't that interesting.

So let's see, what have we been up to since New Years...

Joey's new job
I mentioned this in passing in a FB post a few weeks ago but I don't think I ever gave the details. Joey started a new job in Februrary. It is a slight promotion (from a Project Manager I to a Project Manager II) and it is still with the same company, General Atomics, just with a different department. Formerly he was in the radiation monitoring group, working on equipment for nuclear power plants; and now he is in the aeronautical group working on UAVs (or drones as they are more commonly known as) for the army. So far it has been off to a slow start but he's optimistic that he will like it once he can get into the swing of things. Really, the best thing about the job is that they work 9-80s which means he works 80 hours over 9 days and gets every other Friday off. So we'll see how things go over the next few months.

Joey all dressed up for his big shot job


And I'm back at work too...
In mid January, I got an offer from my contact at Intuit to come back and wok full time through April - about 3.5 months. Honestly I was kind of enjoying being back at home but I couldn't say no to such a great offer. It took me a good fe weeks to get focused again though. I was really dragging my feet and having a hard time focusing on work until just a week or two ago. My motivation is back now though and I'm enjoying being back. I'm still looking forward to May though and I'm hoping they won't want to extend my contract immediately.



Jack's new daycare
I also mentioned briefly in Jack's update that he was in a new daycare. Our previous lady had some personal drama and had to move so we were back looking for daycare, which is one of the least fun things ever. We interviewed a handful of underwhelming home daycare providers and right before I was about to snap, I desperately asked a mom's group on FB for a rec and someone came through. Our new daycare is with a nice European couple who have been running a daycare out of their home for 20 years. They watch 12 kids, Jack is the youngest, and it is really impressive how smoothly they run things. They have a little yard and lots of toys and I feel like Jack is going to camp everyday. They love Jack and always tell us he is such a good baby, even when he is a little fusspot. It is much better than our previous drama-filled lady who always made me feel bad any time Jack had trouble sleeping or was fussy. I'm so glad we found them and were able to get a spot, since they usually have a wait list. So lucky!




Business planning???
At the end of January I got an idea for a website and Joey and I were (are?) seriously considering pursuing it. Joey would really like to be an entrepreneur and I'm always full of ideas so we keep thinking that one day we should actually do it. Well Joey thought my most recent idea really had a lot of potential so we spent about 3 weeks working on it nonstop - researching the market, brainstorming, getting feedback, drafting designs, yadda yadda. Then, my easily distract-able- risk-averse-self started losing interest and we haven't touched it for a couple weeks. I did talk to an already funded entrepreneur with a similar idea who was interested in potentially partnering since he has a need for the user experience piece - but we are still debating if we even want to get into that. I just don't think I'm the entrepreneur type... All I know is that working on it even for those few weeks was super stressful with us both working full time so I'm not sure if that's the kind of lifestyle we want to have.

Thank goodness for giant whiteboards!


House hunting (is depressing)
Now that we have Jack, Joey really wants to get a house so we can feel settled. I think that's a great idea except thinking about buying a house in southern California is so nauseating-ly expensive that I procrastinate talking about it as much as possible. Joey finally nailed me down one day though and we aligned on what we are looking for and where we'd want to live. Joey then found a few options on Redfin and set up a home tour day. We looked at about 5 houses just to start to get a feel for the market and our options. And it was...even worse than I thought. Essentially we can spring for a half million dollar plus "fixer upper" in the San Diego suburbs (that's right, suburbs - not even in town!!) or just move ourselves an hour east into the desert (um, no thankyou!) So yeah, I don't see this happening. That night we started looking at houses in downtown Denver...just to see. Marc and Nicole, we might be headed your way in the not so distant future! (Why Denver, you may ask? No reason really, just seems like a cool city and we don't really want to move back to Georgia.)

Does this look like a kitchen in a $500k house to you???


Sicky Valentine's Day (and President's Day in Vegas)
We had plans on President's day weekend to go to Zion park before meeting Joey's sister Jenny and husband Eric in Vegas while they were there for a conference. Unfortunately a few days before the trip, Joey caught the 24 hour stomach bug and passed it right along to me - about 12 hours later. It was a rough couple days and even though it was mostly passed by Friday, we still spent most of the day in bed. I remembered it was Valentine's Day about mid way through the day and rolled over to Joey to tell him "Happy Valentine's Day" and we both just laughed. We were supposed to go to Zion that night but couldn't pull ourselves together and we were still afraid Jack might get it (which thankfully he never did!) so we canceled that portion of our trip. We still made it to Vegas on Sunday to see Jenny and had a great trip. Look for pics of that in my next post.

Jack's "dinner" with two sick parents - cheerios on the floor.

On a related note, Jack got a couple valentines from his "friends" at daycare (and made us one too) and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Seeing the valentine addressed to him just made me realize that he's a real little person and he's going to have friends - and we're really parents. So weird for some reason. Having kids is pretty surreal. 





Quick visit from Bill
Earlier this week, my mom's cousin Bill was in LA for business so he drove down for dinner. Not too much to say here other than it was really nice to see and spend time with him. We were so glad he made the 3 hour round trip drive just to say hi!





General hanging out
And lastly, in between being sick and working a ton, we have found a little time to hang out with friends. I absolutely love our friends here. If we do leave San Diego, I'm definitely going to have a hard time saying goodbye. There will be crying. But let's not think of that now. Here are some of our fun times!

A little brunch with the mom (and dad) friends at super baby friendly gastro pub. It even has a play area!





Superbowl get together at the future Mr. & Mrs. Singer's. (They just got engaged!)


Park playdate with the moms and babies. 







So that's what we've been up to. Not a lot of funny stories or great pictures, but at least you know what's been going on. It's like we just had an hour long phone call and you're all caught up. :) Now it's your turn. What have you been up to???

No comments:

Post a Comment